Sunday, April 12, 2015

Reasonable Quantities

Written March 9, 2015
My reasonably sized B6 vitamins arrived about a week ago.  I didn’t bother taking just the B6 and immediately combined it with a half tab of Unisom.  RELIEF!  I’m still not 100%.  I still felt “unsettled” and I still threw up this past week, but I’m a lot better than I was.  I take the B6 and Unisom each night before bed.  I suspect the B6 has very little to do with why I feel better and the Unisom before bed has everything to do with it.  I’m sleeping much better than I have the past few weeks.

I learned about this B6+Unisom combination in a book I read called Expecting Better by Emily Oster, though both are also mentioned separately as “approved” for nausea on the medication list I received from my OB clinic.  Turns out the combination is actually approved by the FDA and is sold as a prescription in the UK.  Anyway, great book that I highly recommend for people like me who like to have things explained clearly in terms of facts and data instead of just being told “the rules” and being expected to abide by them without any background even when “the rules” don’t make sense.  That’s all I’ll say other than of course, one book by an associate economics professor shouldn’t replace all of your learned doctor’s guidance, but I still think it’s a good tool taken with a grain of salt.

Otherwise, it sure is hard keeping this a secret.  I couldn’t play in the CRUD tournament Friday night, but of course I wanted to watch L play and to watch my R teams play so I attended anyway.  Getting around explaining why I wasn’t playing was a challenge.  The actual answer: no contact sports when you’re pregnant – especially not contact sports that could result in your abdomen being slammed hard into the side of a CRUD table.  In addition we’re making plans with family for vacation this summer, and how do you explain that you might not be able to participate in activities like kayaking that you would normally be super excited about?  Also, I would never refuse wine simply because I was concerned it would keep me from getting over jet lag - that might have been the hardest one.

No comments:

Post a Comment