Sunday, June 21, 2015

Vaca - and Full-Length Mirrors

Our get-away to the mountains was wonderful and exactly what we needed!

We stopped at Dachau on the way there.  We'd been meaning to do that.  While it is educational and a part of human history that I think is important to understand and remember, I don't think we can be blamed too much for not exactly being excited about this visit.  We're glad we went though, as we learned some things we hadn't known and there's just nothing like seeing a place with your own eyes to help you understand.

The next day we walked from our hotel to the tourist area of Garmisch and mostly we just wandered with no agenda.  We picked up a poster we'd seen on our first visit to Garmisch but failed to buy.  It's a map of the Alps with South at the top of the map and North at the bottom - a unique perspective. We sat at an outdoor table and enjoyed lunch and apple strudel.  In the afternoon we headed back to the hotel and took naps and read, feeling no guilt as it was raining outside.

In the morning we got up early in an attempt to get a view from the top of the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak, before it was completely socked in by clouds.  We had no luck, though the cable car ride was thrilling :-)  And again we spent the rest of the day relaxing and reading.  I had my first maternity massage, which was wonderful.  We even stayed in for dinner.  It was just so nice to have no place to be, no looming deadlines, and no schedule - a perfect short vacation!

While we were gone I did come to realize that most of our household goods, including our only full-length mirror, have been packed up and on their way to our new home for over a month now.   So really, other than brief reflections in store windows, it's been five weeks since I've had a chance to see myself in a full-length mirror - I guess I've just been judging how I look by how others react to seeing me.  I think it was between 20 and 22 weeks when my belly seemed to become the first thing friends noticed about me.  Well, our hotel room had several large mirrors, and I got a good look at myself.  I actually stood in front of the mirror for a while - shocked.  When did my belly get so big?!  When did I get to be 25 weeks pregnant?!  This is some crazy stuff!  These are all good things, of course, but seeing that belly definitely caught me off-guard :-)

Today we're spending one more day relaxing at home.  Tomorrow begins our final week of living in our wonderful German house.

Happy Father's Day, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment